Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Hip Hip Hooray!


Okay. I admit it. I like anything royal. And not just British royalty, but all royalty. If Queen Rania of Jordan is on the cover of a magazine, I’ll snatch it up. When Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden married her commoner Prince Charming, I had to know all the details. And in their heyday, I enjoyed reading about the latest antics of those two Monegasque princesses, Caroline and Stéphanie. On a rainy weekend I like to sit with a cup of tea (what else!) and look through Royalty or Majesty magazines oohing and ahhing over all the beautiful gowns and clothes.

And I don’t just admire (or is that drool?) from afar. I’ve had my own brush with royalty. When I lived in Belgium, I had the honor to have tea with Fabiola, Queen of the Belgians. I was instructed that as an American I did not need to curtsey, but I was to wait for her to offer her hand before extending my own. Being the royal lover that I am, the minute she was within an arm’s length of me, I extended my hand proudly and pumped hers with gusto.  A few years later when her husband, King Baudouin, died suddenly, I mourned with the rest of the country running out to buy a Belgian flag to hang beside my American one in his honor.

But at heart I am a true anglophile and let’s admit it, no one does royalty like the Brits. From the investitures, royal weddings, trooping the colour, and Princess Diana to the scandals, divorces, and Fergie they have it all. Where else can you get pageantry and class along with beheadings, abdication, toe sucking, Camilla Parker Bowles, nudity and knickers? The British royal family has been the bread and butter of many a scandal magazine with Princess Diana alone gracing fifty-seven covers of People.

And so, while I confess to not totally warming up to Kate Middleton like I did with the young Diana Spencer, I was truly delighted to hear the other day that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge would soon be parents. Of course I’m hoping for a girl that they will name Diana, but a little William Arthur David George Phillip Richard Henry Nigel Honey Boo Boo Windsor would be adorable as well.

So put the kettle to boil, get out the good china and lift your cup. Hip Hip Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment